Everything has its day and June 27 is National Sunglasses Day!
To celebrate we’ve tracked down some fun sunglasses facts for your enjoyment!
- Polar bears have built in sunglasses! They have a third eye that helps them filter UV light!
- Every 14 seconds in the United States someone loses, breaks or sits on a pair of sunglasses.
- Elton John is rumored to have more than 1,000 pairs of sunglasses – that’s a lot of eyewear!
- Ray Ban created the wayfarer and aviator styles in the 1950s – these are still the two most popular styles over 60 years later.
- Ray Ban originally created aviators for pilots to cut down on glare at high altitudes.
- Every 90 seconds someone buys a pair of sunglasses on ebay.
- The first pair of sunglasses was sold in 1929 by Foster Grants on the Atlantic City Boardwalk
- The most expensive pair of sunglasses to be sold in an online auction were non other than The King’s shades – Elvis Presley’s sunglasses, worn at the Madison Square Garden performance in 1972, sold on ebay for a whopping $250,000.
- In 1936, the first pair of polarized sunglasses was designed by Edwin H. Land who used his Polaroid filter to help him create lenses.
- Most importantly, sunglasses protect your eyes from harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun and reduce eyestrain in bright conditions.
What kind of sunglasses will you flaunt tomorrow?