May is a busy month. May includes the Kentucky Derby, Mother’s Day, the last day of school, the Indianapolis 500, and even International Tuba Day.
It is also Healthy Vision Month!
This is the perfect time to make your eye health a priority. The National Eye Institute advises 5 things to protect your eyes:
1. Get a dilated eye exam.
- This thorough evaluation of your retinal health allows early detection of conditions such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- It can also reveal ocular damage from systemic conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes.
2. Live a healthy lifestyle:
- Eat healthy foods.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Manage any chronic health issues like diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Don’t smoke.
3. Learn your family history and share that information with your eye doctor.
- Many eye diseases are inherited.
- Is there glaucoma, macular degeneration, or blindness in your family?
4. Use protective eye wear:
- Protective eye wear can prevent 90% of all eye injuries.
- Use goggles, face shields, safety glasses, or full-face respirators when needed for work or hobbies.
- Wear sports goggles with polycarbonate lenses for sports such as baseball/softball and basketball.
5. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the damage of UV rays.
- UV radiation is linked to the development of cataracts, macular degeneration, and pterygium.
- Sunglasses should block 100% of UV-A and UV-B rays.
- A hat with a brim will provide further protection.
Rinkov Eyecare is here to help you make your eye health the priority it should be.
From the eye doctors, opticians and staff at Rinkov Eyecare Centers. We’ve provided comprehensive eye exams, contact lenses, eyeglasses, sunglasses and medical treatment of eye disease, such as cataract treatment, in Columbus, Ohio for over 35 years. Come see an optometrist at one of our Columbus locations – Downtown, West, East, Westerville, Dublin, Bexley, Worthington and Nationwide Plaza.